Trying to balance the demands of poker with your responsibilities and relationships outside the game is hugely challenging. The glamour of poker stardom attracts people, but the grind of travel, irregular hours, and stress impact one’s personal life.
Relationships require careful attention
For serious poker players, especially those traveling the live circuit, relationships take effort to maintain:
- Communicate regularly when away. Don’t disappear for days or weeks during a trip without contact. Stay engaged.
- Schedule quality time focused completely on your partner when home between trips. Don’t just grind poker and neglect them.
- Involve your partner in some aspects of your poker journey when possible. Participate in events near them.
- Discuss poker openly, including challenges. Don’t hide difficulties like losses or tilt issues. Seek their support.
- Prioritize your partner on special occasions. Attend important dates and events at home.
Poker’s unique lifestyle factors are essential to meaningful relationships. With care and effort, serious poker co-exists with healthy relationships.
Maintain robust physical health
Success in such a mentally demanding, sedentary game requires vigilance about health:
- Adopt consistent exercise habits between sessions, especially cardio to increase energy and mental focus.
- Eat healthy, low-sodium meals during sessions to avoid fatigue and food comas. Stay hydrated too.
- Get regular bloodwork done to monitor vitals and biomarkers impacted by travel and odd hours.
- See doctors quickly when health issues emerge. Don’t tough out pain without diagnosis and treatment plans.
- Prioritize sleep, both nightly and after long sessions. Lack of sleep destroys the mental sharpness essential for good play.
A healthy body supports a focused, resilient poker bandarqmind. Avoid bad habits that undermine your health.
Preserve mental strength and motivation
- When fatigued, frustrated, or stuck in a rut, take complete breaks from poker for revival. A few days away recharges your batteries.
- Between sessions, engage in fun hobbies and social activities beyond poker to maintain balance in your life.
- Set goals related to long-term processes so downswings and rough sessions don’t derail your motivation.
- Study how elite athletes maintain resilience and mental strength. Techniques and mindsets apply well to poker.
- Confide in trusted friends or mentors during difficult periods. Don’t isolate yourself and stew in negativity.
A successful poker journey begins with inspiration and overcoming obstacles. Resourcefully maintain perspective and motivation.
Budget carefully and avoid overspend pitfalls
Financially, professional poker requires careful planning:
- Create a complete budget accounting for swings in income month-to-month. Don’t just wing it and overspend during hot streaks.
- Build a sufficient bankroll cushion for your limits. Underbankrolling your games creates unnecessary stress.
- Set aside first-months expenses in a separate account before playing seriously. This covers bills during potential early downswings.
- Live below your means generally. Avoid lavish purchases like exotic sports cars. Consistent saving/investing of winnings enables long-term security.
- Use detailed poker accounting software. Understand your exact win rates in different games, locations, limits, etc. Make informed career decisions.
With poker’s inherent variance, disciplined budgeting and bankroll management prevent financial disasters that could quickly ruin your career or personal life.